Middle managers are expected to point the way forward while following signposts set by others.
THESE 1×1 LEARNING SESSIONS are designed for the unique circumstances of leading in the middle tier. Individuals work with a confidential third-party who functions as a silent partner with ‘been there’ experience.
The focus is on improving core skills, such as:
- Managing, leading and following at the same time
- Communicating with others in a way that connects
- Holding meetings people want to attend
- Implementing plans when you don’t understand the objective, or do understand but disagree
- Having difficult conversations
- Creating proposals and presentations that stand out
- Leading employees in other locations
Topics are weighted to individual objectives. It’s like having a personal trainer for work. Every session combines principles and examples, customized to each situation.
- Suitable any time
- 1×1 sessions are by phone or video call
- 1×1 calls are 60-90 minutes each over 8-12 weeks
- Time and days by individual preference
- An alternate version is available in a group workshop format
- Groups of 6, 8, or 12 people for 1.5 days
- Sessions can be arranged at your office or offsite
- We work internationally
People often avoid raising objections for fear of hurt feelings, retribution, or ‘not knowing the right thing to say’.
THIS WORKSHOP shows how to become comfortable with dissent as the gift it can be. Every idea improves by talking it through until the proverbial ‘gem of an idea’ emerges, but discomfort with adversity can shut down the process before it has a chance to work. In the workplace, this means mediocre ideas go forward unchallenged or unrefined breakthroughs get dropped.
TAKEAWAYS Participants work through real-world scenarios in small groups and learn how to use ‘the language of the same side’, a way of expressing reservations and disagreements that can be used to improve ideas while preserving relationships.
DELIVERY 4 – 20 people
AVAILABLE from May 2019
A strategy is no longer something you set every few years. In complex environments, it needs to adapt as circumstances change.
THESE 1×1 LEARNING SESSIONS are for leaders who are preparing or managing a strategy that involves sensitive or significant organizational change. In personalized one-on-one sessions, we go over experienced-based methods, tailor them to individual needs, and focus on ways to increase personal effectiveness.
Our work concentrates on adaptive strategy, preparing you to consciously and skillfully adjust to emerging factors. Topics include:
- Creating a vision everyone can see for themselves
- Mapping both the external and internal terrains
- Checking for change readiness
- Differentiating between technical and adaptive issues
- Creating conditions to speed adoption
- Recalibrating as circumstances evolve
- Communicating in a way that connects
- Achieving outcomes that will last over time
Topics will be weighted and adapted to suit individual objectives and situations. Participants receive a foundation
- When preparing or managing a strategy
- Sessions are by phone or video call
- 60-90 minutes per session over 8-12 weeks
- Varies by individual preference