Outsourcing can shed new light on a situation. A trusted third party provides neutral thinking and a wider context. There may be helpful precedents or practices in other situations or from another country. Prior knowledge of the principles involved ensures the response is timely and grounded.
Example situations are:
- Gut checks on complex journalistic, ethics and management issues
- Investigations of how journalistic errors occurred and how they can be prevented in the future
- Comprehensive reviews of structures or governance practices in ethics, for senior editors/management or boards of directors
- Management of actual or potential conflicts of interest
- Written notes or a full report, as circumstances warrant
- Interviews, briefings, or presentations as required