A trusted third party provides neutral thinking and a wider context. Precedents from similar situations shed new light. Practices in other countries provide a fresh insights.
Example situations are:
- Gut checks on complex journalistic, ethics and management issues
- Investigations of how journalistic errors occurred and how they can be prevented in the future
- Audits for senior management or board governance
- Management of actual or potential conflicts of interest
- Written notes or a full report, as circumstances warrant
- Interviews, briefings, or presentations as required